Getting ready these days has gotten a whole lot trickier now that Rex is crawling and on the move. Long gone are the days when I could lay down some blankets, a toy, and he would roll around on his back while I shaved my legs in the shower thinking oh this is luxurious–I don’t know what those moms are talking about. Sorry for that thought mamas, I’m there with you now! Rex has already figured out how to slide open our barn door from the bathroom into the bedroom so there’s really no chance at keeping him corralled for a shower. Showering is now reserved for nap time, or there are totally those days when it’s 7pm and I have yet to shower. Shower or no-shower, here’s how I’m cutting down my morning routine / getting ready time… because basically I have to.
1. Planning ahead for the day. If I know I have to be out the door quickly in the mornings (i.e.: heading to the city or have a shoot) I try to think about my outfit the night before and layout the things I might need, pack my bag, snacks etc. Putting everyything together the night before really saves me. I’m not always great about this one but when I am, I’m pretty impressed with myself. Before Rex I would put off things thinking ah I’ll do X in the morning but now I’ve learned that X probably won’t go as smoothly if left to the AM.
2. Time-saving beauty gadgets. I was recently given a new blow dryer (the Dyson Supersonic) which isn’t something I would have thought about as saving me time while getting ready but it dries my hair so much quicker. So much so that I can actually dry and style my hair while Rex is having a hay day going through the baskets under my sink. Investing in an amazing blow dryer means you won’t have to use as many other gadgets like a straightener or curling irons because the blow out is that good. Also I’ll add that I cut my hair this fall which saves on styling time. But this also means it’s not quite as easy to just throw back in a bun. It’s a toss up there.
3. Skipping makeup on non-shoot days. I try to let me skin breath as much as possible and try to go sans-foundation a couple days a week or as much as I can get away with. Not only does it make a difference in my skin but this cuts down on the time spent in the bathroom in the morning. Which means the sooner I’m out the door for that morning walk with Rex.
A few tricks when it comes to Rex:
4. In the mornings I grab Rex, give him his morning squeeze and then we “brush our teeth together.” Handing him his own toothbrush to play with gives me just enough time to brush my own. Then it’s a quick splash of water on my face and we’re heading downstairs for breakfast.
5. Keeping a stash of his bath toys in our tub always gives me a few minutes. I can pull these out and hand him one if I just need a few seconds.
6. I let him have at it with the make-up filled baskets I keep under my sink. This is where I keep any samples I’m sent and he’s always pulling out things I didn’t know I had… so it’s actually been a huge win, win. He loves the discovery aspect and this usually gives me enough time to put on my makeup. Although yes, then I have a crazy mess afterwards but this has been the way I get the most time to do my thing so I don’t even care about the mess.
7. Food prep. Not always great about this one either but on the nights I’ve prepped Rex’s breakfast (and mine too) our morning is that much smoother. Overnight oats are an easy one that we both enjoy. I actually even really like to eat oatmeal cold so it’s a good on-the-go option for me with berries. And if it’s a full day we’re away–meal prepping is a must for Rex since he eats so much now.
So the Dyson Supersonic hairdryer is definitely the coolest, fanciest hairdryer I’ve ever used! The attachments are all magnetic… which I find really fun to snap on and off. There are various drying speed and heat settings which helps prevent damage but the best part of all for sure is how fast I can dry my hair and that the blow out is salon worthy. Expensive for sure, but every hairstylist I’ve ever had has told me blow dryers are worth investing in. If you’re curious to experience it for yourself the Dyson team is hosting a blow-out event in SF this weekend… details below!
The Dyson Supersonic Lab at Bernal Heights Fiesta on the Hill
What: Come experience the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer first hand at the Dyson Supersonic Lab. Guests will receive complimentary dry styling and personalized consultations on how to care for your hair from Dyson hair stylists. Schedule your free appointment online. We also welcome walk-ins. Plus, enjoy complimentary macarons and sparkling raspberry lime beverages at our treat bar, and capture your experience at our photo booth. Please note, appointments and walk-ins are based on availability.
When: Sunday, October 22nd 10AM – 4PM
Where: BERNAL HEIGHTS FIESTA ON THE HILL | At the corner of Andover St and Cortland Ave
How: Schedule your free appointment online here
Photography | Ashley Maxwell