As we transition into the cooler months, it’s the perfect time to edit that closet. Toss out any pilled cashmere sweaters, try on all of those blue jeans and pull out those holiday dress options. I’ve been in serious nesting mode so this has been my project this week (also working to move into our master bedroom so that’s another motivation!). Since I’ve received a number of emails asking what pieces to invest in this season, I thought I’d round up a mix of timeless styles as well as a few of the current trends that I’m into… basically, what’s on my fall wish-list! And just in case you didn’t know, Shopbop’s having a sale so it’s a good time to scoop some of these essentials up (use code: MAINEVENT16).
1. I’m loving the longer lengths this season–from ankle grazing duster coats (you may remember this striped moment) to cardigans. The longer length cardigans feel fresh (and especially cozy!). Opt for neutral colors that will remain classic.
2. Chelsea boot. This is a classic fall staple that, if not already in your closet, it should be. I’m a big boot girl as they fit my lifestyle with ease. And if a classic ankle boot is already in rotation, opt for something with a touch of edge with season. Freda Salvador continues to be a favorite of mine, along with Chloe (for a splurge), and these from Marc Fisher for a more reasonably priced option (I have them in both black and suede brown).
3. Great fitting jeans. This is another classic year-round essential, but with each changing season I think it’s important to try on your denim and re-evaluate. Do you have that go with everything pair? You should have a dark skinny, black, and cropped or boyfriend that all flatter and fit like a glove. If not, take some time to find the best fit for your body type and toss out the older styles that you’re not wearing to make room for the new. I for one can’t wait to wear high-rise styles again. I’m a Citizens of Humanity girl through and through but it’s about finding the brand that works best for you. This pair is currently high on my wish-list post-baby.
4. Oversized Gray Blazer. I think I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect oversized gray blazer for a few years now and just have yet to scoop it up. I’m on the lookout for a menswear-inspired classic that I will have for years to come. That easy throw over anything piece.
5. Easy layering piece. This season it’s all about layering thin turtlenecks and long-sleeves / tees under silky slip dresses and oversized sweaters.
Photos via College Vintage