While it’s still silly hot here (in the 100’s), as soon as the calendar hits September my mind starts getting giddy for fall style. After a serious closet edit and chatting with some of you, it sounds like we’re all looking forward to cozy-oversized knits and a streamlined, classic wardrobe as well. I know some of you mentioned you wanted to see the exact pieces I’m splurging on for fall but would also like to have some “save” options as well, so I’m breaking it down here for you! Of course everyone’s style and closet needs are different but this season I wanted to really assess my wardrobe and invest only in pieces I actually needed and that would be practical for my lifestyle. Also, full-disclosure, you are well aware that I’m often gifted items from brands. I only accept and choose pieces I would buy myself or recommend to my closest girlfriends, however I wanted to keep this post 100% items that I’ve purchased myself. So these are the splurge items I’ve bought for the new season that I’ll be rotating in with my current wardrobe.
If it ain’t broke… you know the saying. | Most of these pieces I’ve bought are all foundational classics to either replace oldie-but-goodie staples or pieces I’ve been wish listing for years (like this camel blazer below). I rebought my favorite jean style (in a darker wash) and some tried and true muscle tanks and tees (in whites, blacks) all as foundational pieces. I wear tees ragged, especially as a mom (and a breastfeeding mom)… but I’m going to try to be better about keeping my new tees crisp for nights out and the old-tees for when I’m hanging with Rex and Willow and don’t mind getting spit-up all over me.
So let’s break it down. Here’s what I’ve bought for fall… Save vs Splurge
1. The camel blazer. Literally this is my absolute dream blazer. The color and fit is just so perfect and what I’ve been hunting for for years. I agonized over the price and even ordered a few other cheaper options but this one was just so gorgeous in every way that I ended up keeping it. It’s perfect for if those of you who may work in an office, and in my case the blazer I’ve been wanting to elevate my jeans for a casual meeting when I want to look sophisticated. I would totally also wear it out with girlfriends for a drink or date nights.
Some saves I found… I actually ordered this one from Zara (Zara has a lot of good blazers right now by the way) but returned since I’m keeping the Nili Lotan one. And this one from Sézane is also perfect in my mind. The color and double breasting, love.
2. A new black boot (with a western flair). If you follow me then you know my love for Isabel Marant. I typically make a major IM fall splurge and this season it’s these boots. The western boots I have of hers that I’ve worn for a few years now are a bit taller in heel height and I have a few different colored boots but was really missing a classic black. This to me is the perfect everyday boot to throw on with cropped jeans or give a slip dress that casual, effortless feel.
3. A new dark skinny jean. This is my go-to jean and I just rebought another pair for the new season in this darker wash. This pinch waist high-rise cut is super flattering–I always size down one size in AGOLDE (and Citizens of Humanity) as I’ve found they run slightly big. Of course it’s all about finding the denim that flatters you best though… this is just my tried and true cut that I now always stick to. Don’t go chasing denim trends–rebuy what flatters and fits you best! Love these paired with a low heel for date nights and meetings.
4. Going out blouse. Nili Lotan has been my designer crush this season, and I splurged on this silk tank (also love the dress version). Even though the title of my blog has “cheetah” in it my closet really doesn’t have a lot of animal print in it. (Any more!) But around this time each year I feel it again and I don’t have anything like this tiger print which feels fun and sexy. Simple and chic black and cream colored silk tanks have always been in my closet and are my go-to to pull out for evening.
Save-wise, I’ve had this sweet eyelet style from Sézane in my closet a few years now and always pull for it.
5. A fresh camel sweater. A fall necessity, if you don’t already own… this is the camel sweater I recently ordered. A fresh style is always a must for me! I was torn on this particular one because I also love this sweater in the sage color as well, but ultimately went for camel. I’m also crushing on every single sweater from Jenni Kayne (but especially this classic cardi–use code: Alicia20 for 20% off) and for some save styles also loving these…
Additional some SAVE tees, bodysuits and thin turtlenecks for fall layering!
Images via Pinterest, Sézane, Net-A-Porter